Thursday, August 26, 2010

Panna Cotta with Raspberry Sauce

It's no secret that two of my most favorite desserts in the world are Crème Brûlée  and Panna Cotta. I do love any rich, fattening and indulgent dessert!
I am an old hand at making Crème Brûlée.  I suppose I am an old hand at eating Panna Cotta.
 Last week I was out to dinner with my friend Linda.  As we were sharing a Panna Cotta for dessert, we couldn't help wondering what exactly was in this divine concoction.
So, to that end, I decided to do some investigating.
I learned that Panna Cotta translated from Italian into English means
"Cooked Cream".
I read that a good Panna Cotta , "should wobble like a Rubenesque woman wearing 5 inch heels".  I believe this statement is attributed to Matt Preston, food journalist and restaurant critic.
Hmmmm....could I do this.....why not?
After all, I can make Crème Brûlée and that is more difficult.

Start with 4 cups of heavy cream. Pour it into a saucepan with a half of a cup of sugar.
Heat until warm and the sugar dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla.


Take 4 teaspoons of unflavored gelatin and sprinkle it over 6 tablespoons of COLD
water.  Let it sit for 4 or 5 minutes.
You might actually start with this step although I didn't.

Next pour your very warm cream and sugar mixture into the gelatin and water mixture.
Stir until gelatin is dissolved.


Use a light oil to oil the cups and
 pour the mixture into tea cups and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours.

When you are ready to serve, run a sharp knife around the edge of your tea cup. Shake it gently loose from the cup.
Make a raspberry sauce with raspberries and sugar. Sieve the seeds out and pour over your
Panna Cotta.
Yes folks, it really IS this easy
and utterly delicious.


Mac give it two thumbs up and says to tell you,
"This dessert was superb."
Now he wants me to make a lemon Panna Cotta with limoncello.
I can do that Mac, but next week!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I can't wait to try this one.

    Did yours wobble like a Rubenesque woman?

    ReplyDelete