Tuesday, May 18, 2010

German Fast Food/Turkish Döner Kebaps

I had my first döner kebap when I came to Germany years ago.  When Mac and I have a hankering for this fast food, we head to our local Real.  (pronounced in German RE-AL)  This store is similar to a Walmart.
Here you see a Kebap truck parked in front of the supermarket.
This is Turkish fast food.


I asked a German friend how the döner kebab sandwiches came to be so popular.  He explained that there is a large Turkish minority in Germany.  Apparently in the 1960's Turkish people were invited to come to Germany as workers to fill a labor shortage after the war. Most of these Turkish workers stayed in Germany, and opened small food shops and takeaways. I find the Turks to be hard workers and they sure make great
döner kebabs.


Our friends at the local truck, serve the traditional lamb but I have heard depending on local tastes, it may be beef, goat, chicken, pork; fish and seafood; or even tofu.  Not really sure if tofu is to my taste.
He's shaving the meat off now for my sandwich.


Typically, the sandwich consists of the meat with your choice of toppings. They offer chopped lettuce, cabbage, onions, cucumber, peppers and tomato, as well as a choice of sauces. We normally go for the—hot sauce (scharfe Soße) but, you can choose a herb sauce (Kräutersoße), a curry sauce (Currysoße), or yogurt sauce (Joghurtsoße) from our local truck. The filling is served in thick flatbread (fladenbrot) that is usually warmed. There are different variations on the döner kebab and today we ordered one of the variations.

A longer thinner version of the kebap.


If you aren't in to trying a local "kebap", they also have some lovely rotissaire chicken as an option.

They talked me into trying a Turkish soda today.
They said it tasted like Sprite.
It actually tasted like Bazooka bubblegum to me.
Like I say, life is about TRYING new things.
Today the adventure into a new soda was not to my taste but, who knows what I will discover tomorrow?




Mac gives Turkish "Fast Food"

two thumbs up!


No comments:

Post a Comment