Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Pulled Pork Barbarcue

There was a time, not so long ago, when our house was filled with teenagers, laughter, antics and fun. But children grow up, get married and have families of their own.  Now it's just me and Mac in our quiet world. We both really missed the girls when they left home and we both struggled with empty nest syndrome. It is a difficult adjustment.
The biggest treat in the world for us is when our daughters and families come for a visit.
Our oldest daughter Amy is coming just after Easter for a visit with her husband Christopher and our darling 2 year old grandson Jonah.
So what's a mother to do?
COOK!
The best advice I can give is get cookin' and freeze meals so you can enjoy every minute with your children and grandchildren.

My son-in-law especially loves pulled pork sandwiches. Pulled pork is so easy to make and freezes very well.
Buy a boston butt, it might also say pork shoulder on the label.  I can never remember which is the southern name and which name they use in the North.
You can use a crock pot but, here in Germany, I just use my good old cast iron stew pot. Cover your pork with water and add an onion for flavor.
Cover tightly and cook on low all day.
Basically I start it at 8 in the morning and forget about it until 6 or so in the evening. I take it out wrap in tin foil and allow it to cool for an hour or so.



Now the fun part.  You simply pull the pork apart with your fingers. Some people use a fork but I find it more fun to get "messy".

Now for all you people who want to take the time and make your own barbarcue sauce, well that's just great.  You'll find tons of recipes on the internet.

Personally, I use my favorite sauce right from the bottle to save time.

I mixed it up and put it straight into my freezer for the kids to enjoy when they get here.
I serve the pulled pork barbarcue with rolls and coleslaw.
I promise to put a picture of the kids plates and reactions on the blog when they get here.

Mac gives my "thinking ahead" so I can enjoy the visit a thumbs up!

However, he gives two thumbs up to having the house come alive again with the joy of  the kids visit!

2 comments:

  1. Linda! That sounds so good! Can you do that... just let it cook on low all day?!? I cook everything on high heat because I get impatient. I'm going to try this... think it will work in a crock pot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will work really well in a crockpot. I think you will love it!

    ReplyDelete