Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Vampire Schedule

Mac has been working the 7 to 7 shift at work the last few weeks.  In order to see him, I have heroically volunteered to go to his schedule. I must say that I do feel like a bit of a vampire.  We go to bed between 8 and 9 in the morning and wake up at 5 in afternoon. Not many hours of sunlight on this schedule I can tell you. Still it hasn't been nearly as bad as I thought. It only bothers me a tiny bit when I wake up and see that the skies are a beautiful blue and the day is mild.  On those kind of days I long to be out walking on the lovely "wandering paths" in the village.

I was asked a question by one of my blog followers.  "Does Mac really get to eat like this all the time?"  No fast food or precooked meals from the store?"
The answer is YES.  Why?  Well, Mac has ADD.  After consulting with many doctors about the best course of action to help his concentration, it was explained that fresh food without preservatives is what will help him the most, as well as limiting his caffeine and sweet intake.  So being the loving wife I am ( it's actually that I see the difference in his concentration levels when he eats fresh foods) of course, I cook this way for him.
He has had way more red meat than I would like for him to have lately but on the vampire schedule I am simply too tired to fight him on what he wants.
So today's offering is Lemon Pepper Steak
Here's Mac's breakfast or is it dinner? Who knows? A bit of salad, fresh green beans, home made cheese spatzle and Lemon Pepper Steak

To make the steak:  Rub each of the steaks with olive oil on both sides. Then rub the lemon pepper seasoning (I mix 1/2 teaspoon of Lawry Salt in with the rub) on both sides of the steak and let it sit for a half hour.
If it were spring or summer I would have put the steaks on the grill but, since it isn't, I heated up the frying pan and added two tablespoons of garlic infused olive oil. Mac likes his steak rare so three minutes on each side seems to do it. If you like your steak "well done" you will have to cook it longer. Don't ask me how long because we don't eat it that way!  LOL


He doesn't look excited because he just got up....but I assure you he is!


Mac always gives my steak a two thumbs up!
Tomorrow I am making him eat butternut squash soup.  I mean, after all, we do have to eat things I LIKE once in awhile.

1 comment: