Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Lichtenstein Castle, Germany

Mac loves castles. Last weekend he asked me if I wanted to go to a fairytale castle in  Lichtenstein.
"Honey," I said, "I think it's a bit too far away for a last minute trip to Lichtenstein."
He laughed, "Mimi, I am not talking about the Principality of Liechtenstein
between Austria and Switzerland.  I am talking about Lichtenstein Castle in the Schwäbische Alb region.
"Oh, that's only about an hour from us, sure, I'd like to do that," I agreed.
So we set our GPS to 72805 Schloss Lichtenstein Strasse

This castle is a fairly new castle in the scheme of things.
However; history tells us that there was a fortress there
in the 1200's.

King Frederick I of Württemberg came into possession of the ruins in 1802.
He passed the land to his nephew Duke Wilhelm of Urach in 1837.
Being inspired by the novel LICHTENSTEIN written by Wilhelm Hauff, he had the current
castle built in 1840.

The views from the castle gardens were amazing.

It was an enchanting place to walk around.

Do take the tour inside the castle where you will see the
 Knight's Reception Hall, Chapel
and various other rooms.

The present owners the Duke of Urach, his sisters and brothers have made this
into a place where there is something to do for all ages. 
They have an Adventure Park where you can swing through the trees
on ziplines.

There are walking trails, a grilling/picnic area and a playground
for the kiddies.

There is even a restaurant if you don't want to
picnic.
It's called Altes Forsthaus


The castle even boasts a "Grill" cooking course.
will give you that information.
I love to cook and it's offered in the private garden, so
I am going to give it a try.
Here's my Mac giving our day at
Lichtenstein Castle the thumbs up.
Do go see this fairytale castle!
Do note that November, February and March the castle is
only open Saturdays and Sundays.
Lichtenstein castle is CLOSED December and January.











No comments:

Post a Comment